So here's the truth . . . .
1. You don't always have to sow in order to reap. We have a few volunteer trees around here that produce pretty good fruit. I don't think this is a volunteer peach tree, but it sure makes a lovely picture.

2. Even if you carefully water and tend a tree, you don't necessarily get fruit. We've had pear trees for 28 years, and I think we've only had about 28 pears in all those years. This year, our newest pear trees actually have fruit. Kent thinks we'll get a bushel (maybe even a bushel and a peck).

3. Not all the corn you sow sprouts, or takes root, or survives the deer, pheasants, and neighbors' chickens and children. Corn planted in orderly rows usually comes up with gaps.

4. You can care for them like precious children, but some plants just aren't into "reaping." These strawberries were tenderly watered and fertilized only to produce lovely large leaves (and sparse tiny berries).

5. On the other hand, you can totally ignore some plants and they still produce more than you can possibly eat or give away. I'm talking about squash (need I say more?).

I know that from an eternal perspective, the "law of the harvest" makes perfect sense, but the truth is, in gardening as well as life, you don't always get what you sow. I guess that's why I adore the farmer I married. He takes land that looks like this in the spring and turns it into a bountiful harvest (see my blog banner). Fruits and vegetables may be fickle, but we always have more than we need--enough to share with family and friends and put away for cold winter nights.
2 comments:
Love it! So perfectly said . . . though feel free to send some of that squash my way!
we had some corn for dinner tonight. It was very delicious. I wish we lived closer so we could enjoy it more often!
Post a Comment